Anita Brookner - Strangers (2nd Hand Hardback)
Booker Prize-winner Anita Brookner captures the magic and depth of real life with this story of an ordinary man whose unexpected longings, doubts, and fears are universal.
Paul Sturgis is resigned to his bachelorhood and the quietude of his London flat. He occasionally pays obliging visits to his nearest living relative, Helena, his cousin’s widow.
To avoid having to turn down her Christmas invitation, Paul sets off for a holiday in Venice where he meets Mrs. Vicky Gardner, an intriguing woman in the midst of a divorce.
Upon his return to England, a former girlfriend, Sarah, re-enters Paul’s world and these two women spark a transformation in Paul, culminating in a shocking decision.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Very Good (Almost As New)
- Category : Fiction - Modern Mainstream Fiction
- Published : 2009 (Penguin / Fig Tree - 1st Edition, 1st Printing)
- ISBN : 9781905490424
- SKU : B002029
- PPC : SP490gm
- RRP : £16.99 (Unclipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"A frighteningly vivid depiction of the loneliness possible in old age, especially for someone who has remained single and childless. The Freudian epigraph, while said about England, seems just as true, if not exaggerated, in the U.S. It made me think more deeply about human connections, how and where they take place and sustain themselves -- and how we might better support their incubation and development, individually and in community."
" . . . it is actually refreshing to read literature that sets out to address the human condition - in this case old age and loneliness - rather than seeking to divert us . . ."
- The Library Thing Reviews.
'She is one of the great writers of contemporary fiction' - Literary Review.
Anita Brookner CBE (16 July 1928 - 10 March 2016) was an English novelist and art historian. She was Slade Professor of Fine Art at the University of Cambridge from 1967 to 1968 and was the first woman to hold this visiting professorship. She was awarded the 1984 Booker-McConnell Prize for her novel Hotel du Lac.
Featured Author . . . Anita Brookner
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :