Arthur C. Clarke - Glide Path (2nd Hand Paperback)
Glide Path is a novel by Arthur C. Clarke, published in 1963.
Glide Path is Clarke's only non-science fiction novel.
It is set during World War II, and tells a fictionalised version of the development of the radar-based ground-controlled approach (called "ground-controlled descent" in the novel) aircraft landing system, and includes a character modelled on Luis Alvarez, who developed this system.
It is based on Clarke's own wartime service with the Royal Air Force, during which he worked on the GCA project.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Good
- Category : Fiction - Historical Fiction
- Published : 1963 (New English Library)
- ISBN : 9780283986123
- SKU : B000459
- PPC : LL240gm
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Many of the scenes when the testing of this prototype was used to "talk" pilots out of the sky, during storms and low to no visibility, by means of radar on the ground, are full of exciting tension. Amazing to think that even to this day, every time one lands in a jet the further developments of the GCA are the reason one's aircraft lands safely where it is supposed to, no matter what the weather is doing . . . an enjoyable and informative read."
"Best Clark story ever, and it’s not science fiction. Yes, better than either the Space Odyssey or Rama series. Relatable protagonist in a quasi-scientific environment. Much less proselytizing than usual. More human-sized, yet scientifically compelled, not to mention the urgency of World War II." - Goodreads Reviews.
"A nearly true tale of the early days of radar. Easy to read, and a page-turner, as are all of Arthur's books." - Amazon Review.
Sir Arthur Charles Clarke CBE FRAS was an English science-fiction writer, science writer, futurist, inventor, undersea explorer, and television series host. He co-wrote the screenplay for the 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey, one of the most influential films of all time.
Featured Author . . . Arthur C. Clarke
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :
Dispatched within 1 day.