Atul Gawande - Complications (2nd Hand Paperback)
Subtitled : A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science.
Dramatic & revealing real life cases - illness, surgery & healing.
This is a nonfiction book collection of essays written by the American surgeon Atul Gawande. Gawande wrote this during his general surgery residency at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
This is a stunningly well-written account of the life of a surgeon: what it is like to cut into people's bodies and the terrifying - literally life and death - decisions that have to be made. There are accounts of operations that go wrong; of doctors who go to the bad; why autopsies are necessary; what it feels like to insert your knife into someone.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Very Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - Health, Medicine, Psychology & Self-Help
- Published : 2002 (This Edition 2003 - Profile Books)
- ISBN : 9781846681325
- SKU : B002871
- PPC : LL300gm
- RRP : £8.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"I don't know if Atul Gawande was born to be a surgeon - I very much suspect so - but he was certainly born to write. This wise and exciting account of life as a surgical resident perfectly captures the wonder and fearful responsibility that come with cutting people open in the hope of making them whole again." - Bill Bryson.
"Ever wondered how realistic ER is? Then read Gawande's superb book. The truth, you will find, is far more compelling, though the endings are never as neat. Gawande makes the scenes far more dramatic than television ever can. He is a first-class writer". - Scotland on Sunday.
"Written as tautly as a thriller." - The Observer.
"Gawande draws you in with the story but leaves you wiser about science, about health, and even about the human condition." - Michael Kinsley.
Atul Gawande is an American surgeon, writer, and public health researcher. He practices general and endocrine surgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts.
He has won the Lewis Thomas Prize for Writing about Science, a MacArthur Fellowship, and two National Magazine Awards. In 2014, he delivered the BBC Reith Lectures. In his work in public health, he is director of Ariadne Labs, a joint centre for health system innovation, and chairman of Lifebox, a nonprofit organisation making surgery safer globally. He and his wife have three children and live in Newton, Massachusetts.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :