Charles Whiting - Siegfried (The Nazis' Last Stand) (2nd Hand Paperback)
On September 11, 1944, four American soldiers from the Fifth Armoured Division crossed the River Our and entered Hitler's Third Reich - the first hostile forces to penetrate German lines since the days of Napoleon.
Above them on the heights they found abandoned bunkers of the vaunted Siegfried Line: a three-mile-deep series of fortifications with pillboxes, troop shelters, command posts, and antitank obstacles that ran along Germany's western frontier opposite the French Maginot Line.
Four years earlier, British troops had boasted in song that they would hang their washing on the Siegfried Line, and now it seemed as if the Americans would fulfil that vow. But appearances proved as deceptive in 1944 as they had in 1940. By October, Allied troops were bogged down in one of the war's most bitter battles. Where the Siegfried Line ran through "the green hell" of the Huertgen Forest, three U.S. divisions were decimated.
In December Hitler struck back, launching the Ardennes Offensive (also known as the Battle of the Bulge) from behind the Siegfried Line. Even after Generals Patton and Montgomery broke through in February 1945, two-thirds of the Siegfried Line still held firm in German hands.
This masterful history recounts a crucial and compelling campaign in the twentieth-century epic that was World War II.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - War & Civil War
- Published : 1983 (This Ed. 2003 - Pan Books)
- ISBN : 9780330420495
- SKU : B001742
- PPC : LL270gm
- RRP : £7.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"This excellent historical book covers the attack on the West Wall, Hitlers last defensive obstacle in the west. It covers in detail the battles in Hurtgen forest and beyond, when Patton finally crossed the Rhine. It is a fitting tribute to the men who died, on both sides, in those terrible battles." - Goodreads Review.
Charles Henry Whiting, was a British writer and military historian and with some 350 books of fiction and non-fiction to his credit, under his own name and a variety of pseudonyms including Duncan Harding, Ian Harding, John Kerrigan, Leo Kessler, Klaus Konrad, K.N. Kostov, and Duncan Stirling.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :
Dispatched within 1 day.