David W. Barber - When The Fat Lady Sings (2nd Hand Paperback)
Subtitled : Opera History As It Ought To Be Taught.
David. W. Barber has delighted readers all around the world with the quirky definitions of Accidentals on Purpose, the irreverent history of Bach, Beethoven and the Boys, a hilariously offbeat history of dance and ballet in Tutus, Tights and Tiptoes and a host of other internationally bestselling books of musical humour and literature.
With When the Fat Lady Sings, the popular author and musical humourist turns his attention to what Dr. Johnson called that “exotic and irrational entertainment,” the world of opera.
Here are stories of love and lusty, jealousy, intrigue, murder and tragic death - and that’s just the stuff happening off stage, in the composers’ personal lives. Wait till you read about the opera plots. Informal yet informative, witty yet wise, this book will both enlighten and entertain you.
As always, Dave Donald has provided witty and clever cartoons that perfectly complement the text.
When the Fat Lady Sings has sold more than 60,000 copies worldwide.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Very Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - Music, Stage, Screen & TV
- Published : 1990 (Sound & Vision)
- ISBN : 9780920151341
- SKU : B001782
- PPC : LL300gm
- RRP : $12.95
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
“This is a very humorous book, but at the same time it tells it like it is, or was. David’s not really fabricating anything, he just manages to give you the gist of the history while leaving out all the boring bits.” - Canadian contralto Maureen Forrester, from the Preface
“I must say I still adore opera. I know it is just as silly as Mr. Barber says it is, but I love it" - Musical Humourist, Anna Russell, from the Foreword.
David W. Barber is the best-selling author of several Sound And Vision books including Bach, Beethoven and the Boys and Tutus, Tights and Tiptoes, and also editor of two previous books in the Quotable series, Quotable Alice and Quotable Sherlock.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :
Dispatched within 1 day.