Dr. Jacob Bronowski - The Ascent of Man (2nd Hand Hardback)
Dr Jacob Bronowksi's The Ascent of Man traces the development of human society through our understanding of science.
First published in 1973 to accompany the ground-breaking BBC television series, it is considered one of the first works of 'popular science', illuminating the historical and social context of scientific development for a generation of readers.
In his highly accessible style, Dr Bronowski discusses human invention from the flint tool to geometry, agriculture to genetics, and from alchemy to the theory of relativity, showing how they all are expressions of our ability to understand and control nature.
- Format : Large, Thick & Heavy 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - History & Futurology
- Published : 1973
- ISBN : CN6173
- SKU : B000012
- PPC : SP1150gm
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"The book and television series are a superb teaching tool and a remarkable memorial" - Carl Sagan.
"A great book . . . it taught me a huge amount about mixing history and science," - Simon Singh.
"This book is a brilliant set of 'essays' that accompanied the BBC TV series in 1973. Bronowski evaluates the development of man's understanding of the world in terms of scientific knowledge, its technological applications and their of impact on humanity. Knowledge and understanding of the world is of little value without considering their links to the human condition. Bronowski delves into these with rigour and an enthusiasm for each topic; revealing insights with the clarity and depth of his own thinking yet at the same time presenting his ideas in a clearly understandable style." - Amazon Review.
Jacob Bronowski was a Polish-British mathematician and historian. He is best known for developing a humanistic approach to science, and as the presenter and writer of the thirteen-part 1973 BBC television series The Ascent of Man.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :