Gavin Maxwell - The Ring of Bright Water Trilogy (2nd Hand Paperback)
Fifty years ago Gavin Maxwell went to live in an abandoned house on a shingle beach on the west coast of Scotland. A haven for wildlife - he named his home Camusfearna and settled there with the otters Mij, Edal and Teko.
Ring of Bright Water chronicles Gavin Maxwell's first ten years with the otters and touched the hearts of readers the world over, brilliantly evoking life with these playful animals in this natural paradise.
Two further volumes followed (The Rocks Remain & Raven Seek Thy Brother) bringing the story full circle telling of the difficult last years and the final abandonment of the settlement.
Now the entire trilogy is available in a single narrative in this beautifully presented book.
Hailed a masterpiece when it was first published, the story of Gavin Maxwell's life with otters on the remote west coast of Scotland remains one of the most lyrical, moving descriptions of a man's relationship with the natural world.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Very Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - Animals, Wildlife & Nature
- Published : 1960 (This Trilogy Edition 2001 - Penguin Books)
- ISBN : 9780140290493
- SKU : B002676
- PPC : SP400gm
- RRP : £10.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"One of the outstanding wildlife books of all time." - New York Herald.
"It is British naturalist Gavin Maxwell's memoir of life at his beloved home Camusfearna, shared with the otters that made it famous. His style of writing is from an earlier generation, full of long rhapsodic sentences describing his environment. When he writes about his otters it is with charm, and later, with the keen observation of a wildlife enthusiast. It's what captured my imagination when I was younger. Maxwell's joys are tempered by daily trials and tragedy, but he recounts events without apology, particularly in the latter two books." - Goodreads.
"Engrossing & Magnificent." - The Spectator.
"Gavin Maxwell's trilogy is essential reading" - Sunday Herald.
Gavin Maxwell FRSL, FIAL, FZS (Sc.), FRGS (15 July 1914 - 7 September 1969) was a Scottish naturalist and author, best known for his non-fiction writing and his work with otters. He wrote the book Ring of Bright Water (1960) about how he brought an otter back from Iraq and raised it in Scotland.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :
Dispatched within 1 day.