George Mackay Brown - The Island of The Women & Other Stories (2nd Hand Paperback)
The Island of the Women & Other Stories is George Mackay Brown's posthumously published collection of 6 short stories, released in 1998, two years after the author's death.
Like his previous collections, A Time to Keep and A Calendar of Love, this volume explores Brown's concerns with history, spirituality, legend and storytelling.
In the title story, Brown uses the famous Orcadian myth of the selkie, the seal-man.
The story Poet and Prince: A Fable, explores the role of the writer in society, a tale which begins in an unknown European state and concludes on Brown's beloved island.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Very Good
- Category : Fiction - Short Stories & Anthologies
- Published : 1998 (This Edition 2006 - Polygon/Birlinn)
- ISBN : 9781904598909
- SKU : B002229
- PPC : SP300gm
- RRP : £8.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"As ever with Mackay Brown, the Orkney master, the volume was alive with the sensuous music of his words and his deep connection with his Orkney home. One of the stories here states that Time "walks the islands in a coat of green," and it does seem that Time itself works as a character in these narratives. From the tiniest minutiae of everyday life, one is suddenly tossed into the whirlwind of mythic time, ages spinning by in seconds give a glimpse of a much larger tapestry on a loom of ever-weaving years. The rugged magic of the Orkneys abounds in each one of these tales. This collection is just gobsmackingly good." - Goodreads Review.
George Mackay Brown was a poet, author and dramatist, whose work has a distinctly Orcadian character. He is considered one of the great Scottish poets of the 20th century.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :
Dispatched within 1 day.