James Hughes - Altered States (2nd Hand Softback)
Subtitled : Creativity Under The Influence.
This provocative study takes readers on the ultimate creative trip, exploring in depth the heightened states of mind that give rise to art. 300 colour illustrations.
The relationship between altered states of consciousness and art is explored in a fascinating and daring new book the discusses meditative rituals, alcohol, drugs, and other "handles" on altered reality, tracing their influence on the work of William Faulkner, Samuel Coleridge, Jackson Pollock, John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Little Richard, and many others.
- Format : Larger, Square 2nd Hand Softback
- Condition : Very Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - The Arts, Photography & Fashion.
- Published : 1999 (Watson-Guptill Publications, USA)
- ISBN : 9780823001637
- SKU : B002323
- PPC : LL600gm
- RRP : $29.95
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
Full Colour, Glossy & Lavishly Illustrated.
"A very interesting book, but one that made me realise that no matter how much absinthe I drink, I'll never be a poet! (sob) That goes out to any other pretentious people thinking of buying this. Anyone else will greatly enjoy it, for it explores not only art, but also science and mingles the two. One thing is does help you do is have lucid dreams, which are cool." - Amazon Review.
" . . . Hughes explores the lives of famous "creatives," from Plato to Vincent Van Gogh to chess player Bobby Fisher, observing that the "creative process requires, at least in some of its operations, a state of consciousness that is dramatically, sometimes dangerously altered." - Book Verdict.
James Hughes is Professor of comparative politics at the London School of Economics. He is also editor of Development and Transition, the newsletter of the United Nations Development Programme.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :
Dispatched within 1 day.