Karla Suarez - Havana Year Zero (2nd Hand Softback)
Translated by Christina MacSweeney.
Winner Carbet de la Caraïbe et du Tout-monde (2012).
Winner Insular Book Award (France, 2012).
It was as if we’d reached the minimum critical point of a mathematical curve. Imagine a parabola. Zero point down, at the bottom of an abyss. That’s how low we sank.
The year is 1993. Cuba is at the height of the Special Period, a widespread economic crisis following the collapse of the Soviet bloc.
For Julia, a mathematics lecturer who hates teaching, Havana is at Year Zero: the lowest possible point, going nowhere.
Desperate to seize control of her life, Julia teams up with her colleague and former lover, Euclid, to seek out a document that proves the telephone was invented by Antonio Meucci in Havana, convinced it is the answer to secure their reputations and give Cuba a purpose once more.
From this point zero, Julia sets out on an investigation to befriend two men who could help lead to the document’s whereabouts, and must pick apart a tangled mystery of sex, family legacies and the intricacies of how people find ways to survive in a country at its lowest ebb.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Softback with French Fold Sleeves
- Condition : Very Good (Almost As New)
- Category : Fiction - Fiction - Uncategorised
- Published : 2021 (Charco Press)
- ISBN : 9781913867003
- SKU : B002819
- PPC : SP300gm
- RRP : £9.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Equal parts historical novel, comedy of errors and detective story, Suarez portrays with extraordinary voluptuousity and suggestiveness one of the toughest periods of this Caribbean island." - El Mundo.
"An impressive novel’ - Le Figaro Littéraire (France).
‘The Name of The Rose is set in Cuba and is now called Havana Year Zero . . . A masterpiece’ - Marie Claire (France).
"A brilliant, joyful and beautiful novel." - Leer.
"Rich in the ingredients typical of the best literature: a good story, with rhythm and flow, but also sensibility, elegance, intelligence and a sense of humour." - Daus Margens.
"A terrifically enjoyable read." - Irish Times.
Karla Suarez is a Cuban writer, born in Havana in 1969. She studied classical guitar and has a degree in electronic engineering. Suárez is the author of three collections of short stories, two books that combine travel writing with photography, and four novels. Her books have received many international awards,
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :