Lewis Dartnell - Origins (2nd Hand Paperback)
Professor Lewis Dartnell takes us on an astonishing journey into our planet's past to tell the ultimate origin story.
Blending geography, geology, anthropology, physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy and history, Origins reveals the Earth's awesome impact on the shape of human civilisations - and helps us to see the challenges and opportunities of the future.
The New York & Sunday Times-bestselling author explains how the physical world shaped the history of our species.
When we talk about human history, we often focus on great leaders, population forces, and decisive wars. But how has the earth itself determined our destiny? Our planet wobbles, driving changes in climate that forced the transition from nomadism to farming. Mountainous terrain led to the development of democracy in Greece. Atmospheric circulation patterns later on shaped the progression of global exploration, colonization, and trade. Even today, voting behaviour in the south-east United States ultimately follows the underlying pattern of 75 million-year-old sediments from an ancient sea.
Everywhere is the deep imprint of the planetary on the human.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Good (a touch of wear to front cover edges only)
- Category : Non-Fiction - Geography, Earth Sciences & Space
- Published : 2019 (This Edition 2020 - Vintage)
- ISBN : 9781784705435
- SKU : B002568
- PPC : SP300gm
- RRP : £9.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
'A sweeping, brilliant overview of the history not only of our species but of the world'
- Peter Frankopan, author of The Silk Roads.
'Absorbing . . . A first-class read - and an important one' - The Observer.
'Stands comparison with Sapiens . . . Thrilling' - The Sunday Times.
'Lewis Dartnell’s mission is to popularise science and Origins: How the Earth Made Us is a good example of popular science done right, enthralling big-picture and cross-discipline research that condenses the very, very, complex sciences (think of all the ‘ologies’!) into something a little more palatable for the masses. Origins explores the deep connections of humanity to the Earth and how geology has shaped cultures and civilisations. Origins is the tale of how the wind and ocean currents enabled Iberian mariners to explore, trade with and exploit West Africa or how the height of the Himalayas led to the rise of the Mongol Empire or how fossilised shells provided the stone to build the Egyptian pyramids. Like a generalist’s dream Dartnell’s prose flows as if geography, science and history were taught as one subject, an academic merging that provides a new perspective on humanity’s residence upon the Earth.' - Waterstones Review.
Lewis Ryan Dartnell is an author, presenter and Professor of Science Communication at the University of Westminster. He is best known to the public as a popular science writer, especially for The Knowledge: How to Rebuild our World from Scratch & Origins.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :