Mr Marshal's Flower Book (2nd Hand Hardback)
Subtitled : Being a Compendium of the Flower Portraits of Alexander Marshal Esq. : As Created for His Magnificent Florilegium. Here arranged by season and supplemented with an Introduction and Commentary and with a selection of plates from the original.
This publication celebrates the work of Alexander Marshal and his exquisite Florilegium, the only surviving example of a 17th-century English flower-book. It takes the reader through a year in the life of an English garden, from the snowdrops and crocuses of early spring to autumnal gourds and Chinese lanterns.
Although little known today, Alexander Marshal was one of the most extraordinary botanical artists of his time. Mr Marshal’s Flower Book, the first popular introduction to the artist’s life and work, will delight garden enthusiasts and art-lovers alike.
It was published to coincide with the exhibition Amazing Rare Things: The Art of Natural History in the Age of Discovery at The Queen’s Gallery, Buckingham Palace (until 28 September 2008), which has been curated in collaboration with the distinguished naturalist and broadcaster Sir David Attenborough.
A lavish compilation of botanical watercolours by the seventeenth-century horticulturalist is comprised of images from his only surviving flower book and features introductory text on the artist's life as well as his subjects. The beautiful paintings in his Florilegium, or 'flower book' garnered him much fame and established his reputation as a preeminent botanical artist.
- Format : Slightly Smaller, Squarish 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Good (1 and a half inch tear to bottom of back of dust jacket. The book itself is in Very Good condition)
- Category : Non-Fiction - Home & Garden
- Published : 1820's (This Edition 2008 - Royal Enterprise Publications)
- ISBN : 9781905686032
- SKU : B002648
- PPC : SP550gm
- RRP : Unknown
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
One of 15,000 first printing. With 192 pages, 140 colour illustrations.
"Mr Marshall was a gardener in the late 17th century, just before cameras were invented, so he had to draw and paint plant specimens to keep a record and say to other interested parties, "Hey, look what I got 'ere". If you are an amateur watercolourist look away now or make a vow to practice hard every day. Well worth having whether you are a gardener or artist or both." - Amazon Review.
"Gorgeous! Page after page of striking colour and minute details in a variety of flowers. Bonus? The intro is an intriguing account of Mr Marshal and how he came to paint the featured flora of his wealthy patrons' gardens." - Goodreads Review.
Alexander Marshal was an English entomologist, gardener and botanical artist, noted for four albums of paintings, including the florilegium he compiled, consisting of some 160 folios of plants cultivated in English gardens, and finally presented to George IV in the 1820's.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :
Dispatched within 1 day.
ISBN / GTIN / UPC : 9781905686032
Google Shopping Product Category : Media > Books > Print Books