Niall Ferguson (Ed.) - Virtual History (Alternatives & Counterfactuals) (2nd Hand Paperback)
What if Britain had stayed out of the First World War? What if Germany had won the Second? How would England look if there had been no Cromwell? What would the world be like if Communism had never collapsed? And what if John F. Kennedy had lived?
In 1997, Niall Ferguson edited a collection of essays that launched the idea of counterfactual history on the world.
The famous historian F.W. Maitland once remarked that historians should always remember that events which are now in the past were once in the future. This was not just a warning against hindsight; it was also pointing out that at any point in the past, the path events actually took was only one of a number of possible paths that they could have taken. Historians often remind readers of this; the Duke of Wellington himself remarked that the Battle of Waterloo was a close-run thing and that it could easily have gone the other way.
However Ferguson went much further than historians had done before and edited a set of essays that posited a number of counterfactuals and then tried to imagine how history might have been different.
These "What if’s?" included a royalist victory in the English Civil War, a settlement of the grievances of the American colonists which meant they did not need to declare themselves independent, a Nazi invasion of Britain and a President Kennedy who was not assassinated.
In this acclaimed book, leading historians from Andrew Roberts to Michael Burleigh explore what might have been if nine of the most decisive moments in modern history had never happened.
- Format : Standard Thick 2nd Hand Paperback.
- Condition : Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - History & Futurology
- Published : 1997 (This Ed. 1998)
- ISBN : 9780333647288
- SKU : B001369
- PPC : SP540gm
- RRP : £10.00
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Quite brilliant, inspiring for the layman and an enviable tour de force for the informed reader . . . a wonderful book . . . lucid, exciting and easy to read" - Literary Review.
Niall Campbell Ferguson (born 18 April 1964) is a Scottish historian and the Milbank Family Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University and is miles better than Neil Oliver.
Featured Author . . . Niall Ferguson
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :
Dispatched within 1 day.