Robert Douglas - Somewhere To Lay My Head (2nd Hand Hardback)
The book is the 2nd autobiography of a Glaswegian called Robert Douglas. In the first Night Song of The Last Tram we left Robert a long way from home, a sixteen-year-old recruit in the RAF.
Now, we follow his escape from the Forces (until National Service a few years later!), his return to Glasgow and life down the pit.
Once more, Robert's fantastic memory for people, places and anecdotes, combined with an ear for individual voices and the brilliant ability to evoke a bygone sense of community, will enchant his readers and sometimes appal them with the brutality of conditions he experienced.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Good (Written Gift Inscription)
- Category : Non-Fiction - Autobiography & Biography
- Published : 2006 (Hodder & Stoughton - 1st Edition / 2nd Printing)
- ISBN : 9780340898420
- SKU : B001785
- PPC : SP520gm
- RRP : £14.99 (Unclipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Having read 'Night Song of The Last Tram' by Robert Douglas, the 1st in this series. I am working my way through the sequels to that wonderful book. 'Somewhere to Lay my Head' is the 2nd book. It covers his life from leaving the Boys RAF through his National Service to becoming a Prison Officer. I found his writing to be engaging & honest, even when showing himself in a not so good light. He is a natural story teller, capturing the sights, sounds & smells of times gone by. I was captivated . . . very much recommended." - Ebay Review.
"So glad I found this author. His books so descriptive and easy to read. Loved hearing about his single life and married life and variety of jobs. His ma would be so proud of him!" - Goodreads Review.
Douglas Robert was 66 when his first volume of memoirs, Night Song of the Last Tram, was published in 2005. The first volume covered his childhood in Glasgow, and its sequel, Somewhere to Lay My Head, discussed his time in the RAF. The final volume in the series, At Her Majesty’s Pleasure, covered his work as a prison officer. After his memoirs were published, Douglas turned to fiction with the novels Whose Turn for the Stairs? and Staying On Past the Terminus, set in a fictional Glasgow tenement in Maryhill.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :