Shaun Bythell - Confessions of A Bookseller (2nd Hand Paperback)
Shaun Bythell owns The Bookshop, Wigtown - Scotland's largest second-hand bookshop. It contains 100,000 books, spread over a mile of shelving, with twisting corridors and roaring fires, and all set in a beautiful, rural town by the edge of the sea.
A book-lover's paradise?
Unfortunately, Shaun also has to contend with bizarre requests from people who don't understand what a shop is, home invasions during the Wigtown Book Festival and Granny, his neurotic Italian assistant who likes digging for river mud to make poultices.
The Diary of a Bookseller (soon to be a major TV series) introduced us to the joys and frustrations of life lived in books. Sardonic and sympathetic in equal measure, Confessions of a Bookseller will reunite readers with the characters they've come to know and love.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : As New
- Category : Non-Fiction - Economics, Business & Money
- Published : 2019 (This Edition 2020 - Profile Books)
- ISBN : 9781788162319
- SKU : B002768
- PPC : LL300gm
- RRP : £8.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
'The second volume of memoirs by the Wigtown bookseller Shaun Bythell is as absorbing as the first.' - Alan Bennett, London Review of Books.
'Bythell has a good ear for the absurd and a mundane telemarketing call becomes comedy gold . . . For all Bythell's self-flagellation, he comes across as a generous, largely genial figure. It is hard to go for more than a few pages without finding him cooking for staying guests or drinking with friends until the small hours.' - Philip Boakes, The Times.
'The best parts are irreverently funny and only borderline legal . . . he is certainly not self-serving in terms of writing about what he sees as his own failures and weaknesses . . . has kept me giggling all week.' - Stuart Kelly, Scotland on Sunday.
'All the ingredients for a gentle human comedy are here, as soothing as a bag of boiled sweets and just as tempting to dip into.' - Adam Douglas, Literary Review.
'Written with caustic wit . . . a diverting and congenial read.' - Jackie Law, Bookmunch.
Shaun Bythell bought The Bookshop in Wigtown on 1 November 2001, and has been running it ever since with an increasing passion for the business, matched only by a sense of despair for its future, and an ill-humour inspired by almost two decades of dealing with confused customers and surly staff.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :