Will Hutton - The World We're In (2nd Hand Paperback)
Will Hutton turns his attention to the global picture, and the ways in which the new world should be ordered.
To understand the global economy, Hutton argues, one must first understand the United States where, over the past 30 years, the forces of conservatism have achieved such supremacy as to reduce liberalism to a term of abuse. The results have been dire: America is a weaker, fragmented society, and its economic strengths are oversold and misunderstood.
But Britain and Europe are different: our attitudes towards property, equality, social solidarity and the public realm are strikingly distinct from America's current conservative leanings
Europe should not be afraid to stand up against the American version of globalisation, and champion the cause of a reinvigorated international society - taking over the mantle now abandoned by the US.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - Economics, Business & Money
- Published : 2003
- ISBN : 9780349114712
- SKU : B000242
- PPC : SP460gm
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Hutton is obviously right to argue that there are clear differences between the American and European social and economic models. While I prefer, on balance, our European way of ordering our lives, the American way is not nearly as flawed as Hutton suggests, and the European way is not so perfect." - The Guardian.
William Nicolas Hutton is a British academic and journalist. He was Principal of Hertford College, University of Oxford from 2011 to 2020, and Chair of the Big Innovation Centre, an initiative from the Work Foundation, having been chief executive of the Work Foundation from 2000 to 2008.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked by entering your delivery location & postcode on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :