Charles Jencks - The Garden of Cosmic Speculation (2nd Hand Softback)
Telling the story of one of the most important gardens in Europe, created by the internationally celebrated architectural critic and designer Charles Jencks and his late wife, the landscape architect and author Maggie Keswick, this book looks at The Garden of Cosmic Speculation.
It is a landscape that celebrates the new sciences of complexity and chaos theory and consists of a series of metaphors exploring the origins, the destiny and the substance of the Universe.
The garden is full of ideas, associations, games and memories; Jencks weaves his personal account of the garden's creation into an investigation into the revelations of recent science, using landscape and design to shed light on the way we can now conceive of the Universe.
This book is illustrated with year-round photography, bringing the garden's many dimensions vividly to life.
- Format : Large Thick, Full Colour Glossy Softback with French Fold Sleeves.
- Condition : Very Good (Almost As New)
- Category : Non-Fiction - The Arts, Photography & Fashion
- Published : 2003 (This Softback Edition 2005 - Frances Lincoln)
- ISBN : 9780711225381
- SKU : B001500
- PPC : SP1500gm
- RRP : £20 (Unclipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
* This book qualifies for Free UK Delivery *
". . . a fascinating read, esoteric and enjoyable. It expounds the process involved in serious design - rare in garden books . . . essential for anyone considering making a garden, or indeed any creative work." - Christopher Bradley-Hole, Gardens Illustrated.
"As a brave and thoughtful experiment in the study of nature in all its aspects, both book and garden are well worth lingering over." - New Scientist.
Charles Alexander Jencks was an American cultural theorist, landscape designer, architectural historian, and co-founder of the Maggie’s Cancer Care Centres. He published over thirty books and became famous in the 1980s as theorist of Postmodernism. Jencks devoted time to landform architecture, especially in Scotland.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :