Julian Holland - History of Britain's Railways (New Softback)
- Format : Standard Sized Glossy New Paperback
- Condition : New
- Category : Non-Fiction - Transportation
- Published : 2015 (This Ed. 2017 - Collins)
- ISBN : 9780008228965
- SKU : B001656
- PPC : SP390gm
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
Previously published as The Times History of Britain's Railways.
Follow the development, decline and later revival of Britain’s iconic railways with bestselling railway author Julian Holland. Discover the fascinating history of our remarkable railway heritage through expert commentary, stunning photographs and archive material from a lifetime of railway research.
The iconic railways of Britain have seen unprecedented change and innovation in just a few hundred years, shaping Britain’s industry, society and transport system along the way.
Discover the historic events that have shaped Britain’s railways.
Highlights include :
• 1604 : The beginnings of the railways - Wollaton Waggonway opens in Nottinghamshire
• 1830 : Britain becomes connected - the world’s first inter-city railway, the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, opens
• 1938 : A world leader in train travel - the LNER ‘A4’ Mallard sets a still unbroken world speed record for steam locomotives
• 1963 : ‘Beeching Report’ published - marked the death sentence for many rural lines
• 2015 : Borders Railway reopens between Edinburgh and Tweedbank - marks a modern-day revival for the railways
This paperback book has 304 pages and measures: 21 x 14.8 x 1.6cm
No minimum order. Free UK delivery on orders of over £10.00. UK delivery only £1.00 per order on orders of under £10.00. International delivery charges detailed here.
Immediate dispatch, via Royal Mail, from Scotland. All books and other products are fully guaranteed and covered by our refund policy. #CampsieBooks