Mairi Hedderwick - Highland Journey (2nd Hand Hardback)
Subtitled : A Sketching Tour of Scotland Retracing the Steps of Victorian Artist J. T. Reid.
Following the success of An Eye on the Hebrides, Mairi Hedderwick was urged to embark on further travels. It was no easy task. A new journey, with its inherent deprivations and discomforts, could not be done to order. It had to be a compulsion - an inspiration.
In Highland Journey, Mairi Hedderwick retraces the steps of an obscure Victorian artist, John T. Reid, who made a sketching tour around Scotland in 1876. Hedderwick, a witty and immensely readable author of children's books, achieves so much more than simply following in Reid's footsteps; wonderfully realised, her quest becomes obsessional at times as she struggles to understand her mentor and guide with whom she shares a passion to conserve Scotland's wild places and record them faithfully with exquisite illustration and insightful comment.
- Format : Slightly Larger 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - Scotland
- Published : 1992 (Canongate - 1st Edition)
- ISBN : 9780862413538
- SKU : B002575
- PPC : SP600gm
- RRP : Unknown (Clipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"I loved this as much for the illustrations as Hedderwick’s shrewd observations on John Reid’s journey and her own personal experiences. A perfect companion to take in your Scottish holiday."
"Charming. Love the juxtaposition both of the old and new art and the old and new travelogue. Cool idea, well-executed." - Goodreads Reviews.
Mairi Hedderwick is a Scottish illustrator and author, known for the Katie Morag series of children's picture books set on the Isle of Struay, a fictional counterpart of the inner Hebridean island of Coll where Hedderwick has lived at various times for much of her life. Her three books for Canongate, An Eye on the Hebrides, Highland Journey and Sea Change, have been reprinted many times.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :