Margaret Drabble - The Seven Sisters (2nd Hand Paperback)
When circumstances compel her to start over late in her life, Candida Wilton moves from a beautiful Georgian house in lovely Suffolk to a two-room, walk-up flat in a run-down building in central London and begins to pour her soul into a diary.
Candida is not exactly destitute. So, is the move perversity, she wonders, a survival test, or is she punishing herself? How will she adjust to this shabby, menacing, but curiously appealing city? What can happen, at her age, to change her life?
In a voice that is pitch-perfect, Candida describes her health club, her social circle, and her attempts at risk-taking in her new life.
She begins friendships of sorts with other women-widowed, divorced, never married, women straddled between generations.
And then there is a surprise pension-fund windfall . . .
A beautifully rendered story, this is Margaret Drabble at her novelistic best.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Very Good (Almost As New)
- Category : Fiction - Women's Fiction
- Published : 2002 (This Edition 2003 - Penguin)
- ISBN : 9780141010199
- SKU : B002703
- PPC : LL300gm
- RRP : £8.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"This is my favourite Margaret Drabble book to date. For this book, I would love to meet her, buy her dinner, and tell her how in awe of her I am. It is about how to love life, literature, change, yourself. There is nothing standard about this tale - Margaret Drabble clearly raises the bar. It is wit defined."
"It's one of those books that make a nice little shiver run up your back and a tiny little squeeze of tears come out of your eyes when you finish. Don't know what the formula is to produce such an effect. I think it's at least one multi-faceted character, a little plot (doesn't have to be much - but I do require some plot) and some non-predictability." - Goodreads Reviews.
"Wisdom & Dry Wit . . ." - The Times.
"Wonderfully absorbing. I loved every page." - Daily Mail.
"Honest, interesting often comic . . . full of incident. A meditation on age, female friendship & second chances." - Sunday Times.
Margaret Drabble, in full Dame Margaret Drabble, (born June 5, 1939, Sheffield, Yorkshire),
An English writer of novels that are skilfully modulated variations on the theme of a girl’s development toward maturity through her experiences of love, marriage, motherhood and beyond.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :