Onjali Q. Rauf - The Boy at The Back of The Class (2nd Hand Paperback)
Winner of the Blue Peter Best Story Award 2019.
Overall Winner of the Waterstones Children's Book Prize 2019.
Told with heart and humour, The Boy at the Back of the Class is a child's perspective on the refugee crisis, highlighting the importance of friendship and kindness in a world that doesn't always make sense.
There used to be an empty chair at the back of my class, but now a new boy called Ahmet is sitting in it.
He's nine years old (just like me), but he's very strange. He never talks and never smiles and doesn't like sweets - not even lemon sherbets, which are my favourite!
But then I learned the truth: Ahmet really isn't very strange at all. He's a refugee who's run away from a War. A real one. With bombs and fires and bullies that hurt people. And the more I find out about him, the more I want to help.
That's where my best friends Josie, Michael and Tom come in. Because you see, together we've come up with a plan. . .
With beautiful illustrations by Pippa Curnick.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Good (Name of previous owner on inside front cover, otherwise Very Good)
- Category : Fiction - Children's Fiction
- Published : 2018 (Orion)
- ISBN : 9781510105010
- SKU : B002782
- PPC : LL300gm
- RRP : £6.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
'Rauf's book is at once tearjerking and chuckle-inducing and will go a long way to restore faith in human nature.' - The Sunday Post.
'Onjali Rauf's debut, The Boy at the Back of the Class, illustrated by Pippa Curnick, offers a child's eye view and an ambitious, adventure-filled plot. When a new boy is introduced at school, no one is exactly sure where he has come from; what is a "refugee kid", anyway, and how can Ahmet be helped to feel that he belongs? Though the narrator's voice is overly young at times, this is a lovely, warm-hearted first novel, a celebration of courage and friendship leavened with mischief.' - The Guardian.
'Based in part on the stories she encountered when working in refugee camps, Onjali Q. Raúf’s remarkable debut deserves to be ranked as a modern classic. Told with humour and tenderness, it is an unforgettable story of hope, curiosity and the importance of kindness.' - Waterstones.
Onjali Q. Rauf MBE is a best-selling British author and the founder of the NGO Making Herstory, a woman's rights organisation tackling the abuse and trafficking of women and girls in the UK and beyond.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :