Philip K. Dick - Humpty Dumpty in Oakland (2nd Hand Paperback)
Set in (and originally written in) San Francisco in the late 1950's, Humpty Dumpty in Oakland is a tragicomedy of misunderstandings among used car dealers and real-estate salesmen: the small-time, struggling individuals for whom Philip K. Dick always reserved his greatest sympathy.
Jim Fergesson is an elderly garage owner with a heart condition, who is about to retire; Al Miller is a somewhat feckless mechanic who sublets part of Jim's lot and finds his livelihood threatened by the decision to sell; Chris Harman is a record-company owner who for years has relied on Fergesson to maintain his cars.
When Harman hears of Fergesson's impending retirement he tips him off to what he says is a cast-iron business proposition: a development in nearby Marin County with an opening for a garage.
Al Miller is convinced that Harman is a crook, out to fleece Fergesson of his life's savings. As much as he resents Fergesson he can't bear to see it happen and - denying to himself all the time what he is doing - he sets out to thwart Harman.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Good (Very slight tanning towards page edges only)
- Category : Fiction - Fiction - Uncategorised
- Published : 1986 (This Edition 1988 - Paladin)
- ISBN : 9780586086704
- SKU : B002092
- PPC : LL300gm
- RRP : £3.95
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
Scarce early edition.
"Philip K. Dick spins a black comedy of misunderstandings with considerable technique" - The Guardian.
"I really loved this odd little book for the most part, it has a grounding in both history and fantasy, the 1950s nostalgia is incredible, and the characters are very well-written." - Goodreads Review.
"More than anyone else in the field, Mr. Dick really puts you inside people's minds." - The Wall Street Journal.
Philip Kindred Dick (December 16, 1928 - March 2, 1982) was an American writer known for his work in science fiction. He wrote 44 published novels and approximately 121 short stories, most of which appeared in science fiction magazines during his lifetime.
Featured Author . . . Philip K. Dick
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :