Robert Lacey & Danny Danziger - The Year 1000 (2nd Hand Hardback)
Subtitled : What was life like at the turn of the First Millennium.
In the year 1000 the world was one of people who feared an apocalypse and who had no idea what year it was or what lay beyond the nearest valley. Narrated through the progression of the seasons, this book presents a recreation of English life at the end of the first millennium AD.
The Year 1000 is a vivid evocation of how English people lived a thousand years ago - no spinach, sugar or Caesarean operations in which the mother had any chance of survival, but a world that knew brain surgeons, property developers and, yes, even the occasional gossip columnist.
In the spirit of modern investigative journalism, Lacey and Danziger interviewed the leading historians and archaeologists in their field. In the year 1000 the changing seasons shaped a life that was, by our standards, both soothingly quiet and frighteningly hazardous - and if you survived, you could expect to grow to just about the same height and stature as anyone living today.
This exuberant and informative book concludes as the shadow of the millennium descends across England and Christendom, with prophets of doom invoking the spectre of the Anti-Christ. Here comes the abacus - the medieval calculating machine - along with bewildering new concepts like infinity and zero.
These are portents of the future, and The Year 1000 finishes by examining the human and social ingredients that were to make for survival and success in the next thousand years.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Good (Book has been stored horizontally and placed under too much pressure - no longer entirely "square", more at "a slight angle". Still perfectly presentable.)
- Category : Non-Fiction - History & Futurology
- Published : 1999 (Little, Brown - 1st Edition, 8th Printing)
- ISBN : 9780316643757
- SKU : B002377
- PPC : SP500gm
- RRP : £12.99 (Unclipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Thoroughly enjoyable . . . a superb insight into life as it was lived a thousand years ago." - The Independent.
"A brilliant little book, well-written, knowledgeable, insightful, accessible, a model of how popular social history should be written." - The Herald
"A series of deftly-turned vignettes of what it was like to live in England at the turn of the last millennium . . . a quirky and engaging book" - The Telegraph.
"A beautiful window on past history. My book of the year." - Simon Schama.
Robert Lacey is a British historian and biographer. He is the author of a number of best-selling biographies, including those of Henry Ford, Eileen Ford and Queen Elizabeth II, as well as several other works of popular history. He is best known for his work as historian to the Netflix award-winning drama The Crown.
Danny Danziger is a columnist for the London Sunday Times. During his career as a journalist he has written for a number of London newspapers, including the Daily Mail and the Independent. He is particularly well known for his interview series, "Best of Times, Worst of Times," which appeared in the Independent.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :