Simon Jenkins - England's Thousand Best Houses (2nd Hand Hardback)
England's houses are a treasure trove of riches and a unique, living record of the nation's history. Simon Jenkins's magnificent guide selects the finest palaces, mansions, halls, castles and cottages throughout the land, from the stately to the humble, in a glorious celebration of English life.
England's Thousand Best Houses is a panorama of an ancient heritage, a compendium of a thousand delightful country houses from all periods - all of which are open to the public.
Breathtaking Blenheim Palace, the monumental jewel of Oxfordshire . . . the Duke of Devonshire's opulent Derbyshire seat of Chatsworth . . . the extraordinary baroque vision of Castle Howard in Yorkshire . . . lesser known gems like Little Morton Hall - all of these celebrated houses come to life and mingle with the yet-to-be discovered.
England's Thousand Best Houses is a must-have for readers from veteran architects to armchair travellers and anyone embarking on an exploration of the stately treasures scattered throughout England.
A Five Star System is used to rate each House.
- Format : Thick, Solid 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : As New
- Category : Non-Fiction - England
- Published : 2003 (Penguin / Allen Lane - 1st Edition)
- ISBN : 9780713995961
- SKU : B001778
- PPC : SP1800gm
- RRP : £30 (Unclipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Marvellous . . . A constant excuse to wander a little" - Anna Ford.
"A hymn to good architecture, an ode to authentic domestic interiors. No other book (apart from his 1,000 Churches) will prompt so many joyous detours" - Christopher Hudson, Daily Mail.
"Jenkins' articles always throw some new light onto the architecture of the house and greatly enhance the visit." - Goodreads.
Sir Simon David Jenkins FSA FRSL is a British author and a newspaper columnist and editor. He was editor of the Evening Standard from 1976 to 1978 and of The Times from 1990 to 1992. Jenkins chaired the National Trust from 2008 to 2014. He currently writes columns for The Guardian.
Featured Author . . . Simon Jenkins
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :