Willard Sterne Randall - Alexander Hamilton (A Life) (2nd Hand Hardback)
Set against a background of political conspiracy and sexual scandal, Willard Sterne Randall's engaging, authoritative biography brings to life Alexander Hamilton, the illegitimate son of a Scots merchant, who became a dashing Revolutionary soldier and outmaneuvered scores of better-born staff to become George Washington's principal aide, speechwriter, and legal adviser.
Less than six years after the American Revolution, Hamilton pulled the infant nation to its feet, galvanizing it into a profitable, fast-growing commercial and military power that was independent of Europe. A ruthless and very successful New York businessman, he became the first secretary of the treasury and created the first federal bank. The American corporation was his brainchild, the stock market his legacy.
From his less than auspicious start in 1755 on the Caribbean Island of Nevis to his untimely death in a duel with his old enemy Aaron Burr in 1804, Alexander Hamilton, despite his short life, left a huge legacy.
Orphaned at thirteen and apprenticed in a counting house, Hamilton learned principles of business that helped him create the American financial system and invent the modern corporation. But first the staunch, intrepid Hamilton served in the American Revolution, acting as General Washington's spymaster. Forging a successful legal career, Hamilton co-authored the Federalist Papers and plunged into politics.
Irresistibly attractive, he was a man of many gifts, but he could be arrogant and at times a poor judge of character.
In this meticulously researched, illuminating, and lively account, Willard Sterne Randall explores Hamilton's life - his illegitimate birth, little-known military activities, political and diplomatic intrigues, and scandalous affairs - and its indelible impact on modern America.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Very Good (But with previous owners name on fly page)
- Category : Non-Fiction - USA
- Published : 2003 (Harper Collins USA - Stated First Edition)
- ISBN : 9780060195496
- SKU : B002071
- PPC : SP550gm
- RRP : $32.50 (Unclipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Very well written and made excellent use of new materials. The most interesting parts were the interaction with Washington and the founders of the rebellion and country." - Goodreads Review.
Willard Sterne Randall is an American historian and author who specializes in biographies related to the American colonial period and the American Revolution. He teaches American history at Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :