Anthony Adolph - Tracing Your Scottish Family History (2nd Hand Hardback)
Immensely detailed and fully illustrated guide to genealogy in Scotland - a thorough guide to researching your Scottish family tree.
During the year of publication, Scots worldwide celebrated the Homecoming Year to mark the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns. Amidst this gaiety, many came to Scotland to reflect on their own family's journey, to personally examine Scotland's past and research their family tree.
Tracing Your Scottish Family History guides the reader step by step, from "ask your family first" to finding, accessing and understanding obscure local records. Anthony Adolph shares insider tips on how best to search archives, libraries, publications, registers, censuses, tax rolls, debt records, churches, testaments and deeds, and he supplies all relevant contact information. Fortunately the Internet, digitised archives and DNA sampling have made it easier than ever to reconstruct a family tree.
This book's abundant archival photographs and illustrations and Adolph's engaging text describe Scottish society in detail, from the early seanachaidh (druids) and chieftains to Viking genetics. Adolph explains how critical historical events affected how and where Scottish people lived, and he gives comprehensive detail on such important topics as naming patterns, clans and tartans, heraldry, parishes, landholders and tacksmen, the Burghs, sasines, farmers and crofters, and Highland and Lowland families.
Tracing Your Scottish Family History is a comprehensive research tool and easy-to-use guide that gives an authentic historical perspective of Scotland and the lives of its people - a core reference for researching a Scottish family tree.
- Format : Larger 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Very Good (Almost As New)
- Category : Non-Fiction - Scotland
- Published : 2008 (Collins)
- ISBN : 9780007278749
- SKU : B001935
- PPC : SP900gm
- RRP : £17.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
None currently available.
Anthony Adolph is a professional genealogist, writer and broadcaster. He is presenter of TV's Extraordinary Ancestors, Antiques Ghostshow and Ancestor Hunters as well as Radio 4's Meet the Descendants.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :