Graeme Smith - The Theatre Royal (Entertaining a Nation) (2nd Hand Paperback)
From Cowcaddens to the Colosseum, from Hope Street to Hollywood, for entertainment, drama, pantomime, music and song, this is the fascinating story, lavishly illustrated, of the Theatre Royal.
Emerging from Music Halls to an Opera House and the national home of Scottish Opera and The Scottish Ballet the Theatre Royal is the oldest theatre in Glasgow, opening in 1867. It is also the largest example in Britain of the theatre designs of Charles Phipps.
Pantomime, plays, spectaculars, silent films, circuses, ballet, opera and television grew up with the Royal.
Original documents, plans & posters trace its life and personalities, from its parentage in the 18th century, the influence of the Glover family here and overseas, its links with fine arts and the International Exhibitions, all expressing the confidence of Glasgow and the context of its times.
It is also the birthplace of Howard & Wyndham Ltd, one of Britain`s major theatre companies, thanks to the Simons fruit businesses in Candleriggs; and the birthplace of commercial television in Scotland, thanks to Canadian Roy Thomson.
For an encore there is a history of the previous Theatre Royal in Dunlop Street . . . let the curtain rise!
- Format : Larger, Thick, Glossy, Full Colour 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Very Good (Almost As New)
- Category : Non-Fiction - Music, Stage Screen & TV
- Published : 2008 (Glasgow Publications)
- ISBN : 9780955942006
- SKU : B001797
- PPC : SP970gm
- RRP : £19.95
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
None currently available.
Graeme Smith, born in 1945, wanted to be an investigative journalist and became a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland. Much of his career has centred on financial investigation and project management including the building of New Towns and of urban renewal.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day), via local delivery, standard Royal Mail post or courier.
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :