J.P. Donleavy - The Gingerbread Man (2nd Hand Paperback)
First published in Paris in 1955 and originally banned in America, J. P. Donleavy's first novel is now recognized the world over as a masterpiece and a modern classic of the highest order.
Set in Ireland just after World War II, The Ginger Man is J. P. Donleavy's wildly funny, picaresque classic novel of the misadventures of Sebastian Dangerfield, a young American ne'er-do-well studying at Trinity College in Dublin. Dangerfield's appetite for women, liquor, and general roguishness is insatiable - and he satisfies it with endless charm.
Dorothy Parker called The Ginger Man "a rigadoon of rascality, a bawled-out comic song of sex." . . . how can you top that?
Pitch black Irish humour. A book that comes with hint of marmite.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Good
- Category : Fiction - Humorous Fiction
- Published : 1955 (This Edition 1996 - Abacus)
- ISBN : 9780349108759
- SKU : B002222
- PPC : SP300gm
- RRP : £8.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"A fantastic read if you are capable of suspending judgment and enjoying a deeply flawed character who changes little but still somehow charms." - Goodreads Review.
James Patrick Donleavy was an American-Irish novelist, short story writer and playwright. His best-known work is the novel The Ginger Man, which was initially banned for obscenity.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day), via local delivery, standard Royal Mail post or courier.
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :