John Galt - The Provost (2nd Hand Hardback)
Edited with an Introduction by Ian A. Gordon.
"The Provost" is a novel written in 1822 by John Galt. He was a Scottish novelist and he has been called the first "political" writer.
The action takes place in a small Scottish town, small enough that everyone's lives are mixed together with everyone else's lives, but the town is still large enough for political action. It's the story of a small town and the story of the peoples lives in the town, especially Mr. Pawkie's life story.
There are all the small town events described, whether to repair the school house, to have a town newspaper, or the installation of street lamps, but there are also bigger events, such as a duel, a riot, a murder and a hanging.
- Format : Slightly Smaller 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Good (Very Good for its age - clean copy, no markings)
- Category : Fiction - Scottish Fiction
- Published : 1822 (This Edition 1973 - Oxford University Press)
- ISBN : 0192553577
- SKU : B002641
- PPC : SP400gm
- RRP : £5.50 (Clipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"This book was very early (written in 1822) political satire. Reading it you realize that the more things change the more they remain the same. Political corruption has gone on forever and will likely never go away." - Goodreads Review.
"Using a comedic touch, John Galt delves into the issues of use and misuse of power. The Provost is one of Galt's the Tales of the West novels and is heralded as his one true masterpiece." - Google Review.
Scottish author John Galt (1779-1839) wrote extensively during the early 1800's, producing novels as well as works of drama, poetry, art criticism, and biography. He also worked as a lobbyist and founded settlements in Canada. Galt's style of novel writing contributed to the development of the realistic Scottish novel in which characters were depicted in their day-to-day lives in the Scottish countryside, speaking in colourful local idioms.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :