Jon Ronson - So You've Been Publicly Shamed (2nd Hand Paperback)
So You've Been Publicly Shamed is a 2015 book by British journalist Jon Ronson about online shaming and its historical antecedents.
The book explores the re-emergence of public shaming as an Internet phenomenon, particularly on Twitter. As a state-sanctioned punishment, public shaming was popular in Colonial America.
For three years, Jon Ronson travelled the world meeting recipients of high-profile public shamings. The shamed are people like us - people who, say, made a joke on social media that came out badly, or made a mistake at work.
Once their transgression is revealed, collective outrage circles with the force of a hurricane and the next thing they know they're being torn apart by an angry mob, jeered at, demonized, sometimes even fired from their job.
People are using shame as a form of social control.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Paperback
- Condition : Good (Almost Very Good)
- Category : Non-Fiction - Law, Society & Social Sciences
- Published : 2015 (This Edition 2016 - Picador)
- ISBN : 9780330492294
- SKU : B002693
- PPC : SP300gm
- RRP : £8.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"I love it when I hear about a book, automatically have to go out and get it, and then can't put it down. It's a rare experience, but it's a really potent and exciting one. You're thrown into something brand new and days later emerge, drawing breath, crawling out of your book cave, victorious. This book examined, ultimately to me, compassion online. I very much think of the internet as a wild west. It's so new, it's constantly evolving, and there aren't any real agreed upon rules and regulations. This book starts on that path, on that conversation, of "what kind of place do we want the internet to be, and how do we make it that?"
"Jon Ronson is an amazing writer. He makes non-fiction a compelling page turner. In this book he studies and analyses cruelty of social network's members and the damage public shaming does to individuals.
This was exactly what I expected it to be, an entertaining, fun and easy read !! Highly recommend" - Goodreads Reviews.
'. . .superb and terrifying . . . relentlessly entertaining and thought-provoking' - Steven Poole, The Guardian.
Jon Ronson (born 10 May 1967) is a Welsh-American journalist, author, and filmmaker whose works include Them: Adventures with Extremists (2001), The Men Who Stare at Goats (2004), and The Psychopath Test (2011). He has been described as a gonzo journalist, becoming a faux-naïf character in his stories.
Featured Author . . . Jon Ronson
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :