Kim Stanley Robinson - Galileo's Dream (2nd Hand Hardback)
A novel that combines a science fiction story with a great deal of information about the fascinating life of Galileo, the Tuscan astronomer who, like Copernicus, ran foul of the church with the suggestion that the sun was at the centre of our system rather than the Earth.
From Galileo's heresy trial to the politics of far-future Jupiter, Kim Stanley Robinson illuminates the parallels between a distant past and an even more remote future - in the process celebrating the human spirit and calling into question the convenient truths of our own moment in time.
- Format : Standard Thick 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Acceptable (Slight browning to page edges only)
- Category : Fiction - Science Fiction
- Published : 2009 (Harper Voyager - 1st Ed.)
- ISBN : 9780007260317
- SKU : B000714
- PPC : SP650gm
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
Harper Voyager, UK. 2009. First edition.
"The historical fiction part of the book - about Galileo's life and times, was my favourite part of the book for sure, but the other part of the novel - set in 31st century Jupiter and moons - was also really engaging. The images of the moons of Jupiters and the people who live on them was fantastic.
The topics of "time" and entanglement were great and thought provoking (astrophysicist husband was well satisfied) and the piece-de-resistance of this book was the set piece which had Galileo getting a crash course on quantum mechanics." - Goodreads Review.
"Galileo's Dream, however, is a gleaming return to form for one of the world's best SF writers: thought-provoking and moving in equal measure. Robinson captures the joy of scientific discovery better than anyone else working today; the characterisation is splendid, with Galileo himself coming sharply to life, while the future-set sections feel neither superfluous nor clunky. Elegant, charming, funny and profound, Galileo's Dream is magnifico." - The Guardian.
Kim Stanley Robinson is an American writer of science fiction. To date he has published nineteen novels and numerous short stories but is best known for his Mars trilogy. His work has been translated into 24 languages.
Featured Author . . . Kim Stanley Robinson
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :