Malachy Tallack - The Un-Discovered Islands (2nd Hand Hardback)
Subtitled : An Archipelago of Myths & Mysteries, Phantoms & Fakes.
With wonderful illustrations by Katie Scott.
The oceans of the world are filled with places seen once and then never again; places born in myth and in mystery. They have existed in every part of the world, and some have appeared on maps for many centuries before finally being erased.
This guide to islands that have never existed examines 24 products of imagination, deception and human error. Some have emerged from myth, others as phantoms, plain mysteries, or fakes.
The island of Frisland was claimed as British territory by Elizabeth I but turned out not to exist, and there were fraudulent inventions such as Phelipeaux, in Lake Superior. From the well-known myths of Atlantis to the more obscure legends of Thule and Antilla, from the islands of pure fiction to others whose existence are still in question, Malachy has created an atlas of fairytale and wonder.
Un-Discovered Islands marks an exciting new excursion into the beautiful, mysterious and mythical by the critically acclaimed author of travel writing memoir, Sixty Degrees North. Illustrator Katie Scott adorns the text with botany & mythical beasts.
- Format : Larger 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : As New
- Category : Non-Fiction - Geography, Earth Sciences & Space
- Published : 2016 (Polygon / Birlinn - 1st Edition)
- ISBN : 9781846973505
- SKU : B002240
- PPC : SP800gm
- RRP : £14.99 (Unclipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"It is ideal for map and geography lovers and is a beautiful produced book too. Sadly there doesn’t seem to be much depth to the stories. It is not the fault of Tallack, but it is understandable when you remember that these are places that have no basis in reality, the tangible facts are scarce."
"Here was a book that was quite interesting for those who may enjoy good travel stories from the past and/or for those who are fans of fantasy. As such the reader is taken on a nice and snug little journey to explore just a few handful of islands that once upon a time used to exist whether they were caused from human creativity, nature deceptions, cartography mistakes or even real places that just very slowly receded back into the background where they had popped up from."
- Goodreads Reviews.
Malachy Tallack is a Scottish singer-songwriter, journalist and author, who was born in England and moved to Shetland with his family when he was ten years old. He edited the magazine Shetland Life, and founded the online magazine The Island Review.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :