Nigel Warburton - A Little History of Philosophy (2nd Hand Softback)
These were the concerns of Socrates, who spent his days in the ancient Athenian marketplace asking awkward questions, disconcerting the people he met by showing them how little they genuinely understood.
This engaging book introduces the great thinkers in Western philosophy and explores their most compelling ideas about the world and how best to live in it.
In forty brief chapters, Nigel Warburton guides us on a chronological tour of the major ideas in the history of philosophy. He provides interesting and often quirky stories of the lives and deaths of thought-provoking philosophers from Socrates, who chose to die by hemlock poisoning rather than live on without the freedom to think for himself, to Peter Singer, who asks the disquieting philosophical and ethical questions that haunt our own times.
Warburton not only makes philosophy accessible, he offers inspiration to think, argue, reason, and ask in the tradition of Socrates. A Little History of Philosophy presents the grand sweep of humanity's search for philosophical understanding and invites all to join in the discussion.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Softback with French Fold Covers
- Condition : Good (Immovable Blackwell's Sticker on back cover, otherwise Very Good)
- Category : Non-Fiction - Young Adult Non-Fiction
- Published : 2012 (Yale University Press)
- ISBN : 9780300187793
- SKU : B002289
- PPC : SP490gm
- RRP : £9.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"A wonderful introduction for anyone who's ever felt curious about almost anything." -Sarah Bakewell, author of How To Live.
"A brilliant overview of western philosophy written in a clear and simple way making it an easy but interesting read. Would 100% recommend it for anyone who has an interest in philosophy but does not want challenging reading or someone new to the topic. Even as someone who's studied it before its a great read and a good tool for carrying on studies." - Ebay Review.
"The author gives an approximately 10 page account of philosophers starting from Socrates to Peter Singer. He briefly speaks about their lives and their work. This book is like an introduction to the major western philosophers. It's easy for everyone to understand and interesting." - Google Review.
Nigel Warburton is a British philosopher. He is best known as a populariser of philosophy, having written a number of books in the genre, but he has also written academic works in aesthetics and applied ethics. He also is the interviewer on the Philosophy Bites podcast. He lives in Oxford, UK.
Featured author . . . Nigel Warburton
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :