Norman Franks - RAF Fighter Command 1936-1968 (2nd Hand Hardback)
RAF Fighter Command, formed in 1936, did indeed play a vital role in the Second World War. During the Dunkirk evacuation its pilots flew 2,739 of the RAF's 3,561 sorties to provide aerial defence of the beach and convoys - and in the Battle of Britain, or course, they made history.
But Fighter Command's story spanned more than three decades. It is told here from an unusual standpoint by expert aviation historian Norman Franks. While touching on the politics and higher echelon organisation, he concentrates more on a balance between broad strategy and first-hand accounts from the airmen themselves.
He traces the technological development from silver bi-planes to supersonic and VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) aircraft, and the nuclear capability that ultimately made this Command redundant.
Just as fascinating are the insights into the men who shaped operations - leaders like Dowding, Park, Leigh Mallory and Sholto Douglas, and fighter pilots such as Johnnie Johnson, Sailor Malan, Douglas Bader and John Cunningham, as well as many of the less famous names, all of whom made their contribution.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - War & Civil War
- Published : 1992
- ISBN : 9781852603441
- SKU : B000215
- PPC : SP560gm
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
None currently available.
Norman Leslie Robert Franks is an English militaria writer who specialises in aviation topics. He focuses on the pilots and squadrons of World Wars I and II.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :