Peter Whitfield - The Image of The World (20 Centuries of World Maps) (2nd Hand Hardback)
From the classic Greek origins of the world map, through the elaborately decorated manuscript maps and printed maps of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries which are works of art in themselves, to modern scientific maps showing the ocean floor, Peter Whitfield examines the history of world mapmaking through 70 outstanding individual examples.
He discusses each map in relation to the religious, political, social or economic climates in which they were produced and considers what these maps reveal about the perceptions of their makers.
- Format : Large 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust jacket
- Condition : Very Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - History & Futurology
- Published : 1997
- ISBN : 9780712303385
- SKU : B000535
- PPC : SP850gm
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Maps are my thing. This amazingly assembled collection tells so much more about the evolving perceptions of how humans perceived and found ways to document their concepts of the world around them." - Amazon Review.
Peter Whitfield is an historian and a poet. His books include A Universe of Books: Readings in World Literature and Landmarks in Western Science, New Found Lands - Maps in the History of Exploration. He is a keen cyclist and has written books on his sport.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :