Richard Van-Emden - The Somme (2nd Hand Paperback)
Full Title : The Somme - The Epic Battle in the Soldiers' Own Words and Photographs.
The offensive on the Somme took place between July and November 1916 and is perhaps the most iconic battle of the Great War.
It was there that Kitchener's famous 'Pals' Battalions were first sent into action en-masse and it was a battlefield where many of the dreams and aspirations of a nation, hopeful of victory, were agonisingly dashed.
Because of its legendary status, the Somme has been the subject of many books.
However, nothing has ever been published on the Battle in which the soldiers' own photographs have been used to illustrate both the campaign's extraordinary comradeship and its carnage.
- Format : Larger, Heavy 2nd Hand Paperback.
- Condition : Very Good (As New but with written gift message)
- Category : Non-Fiction - War & Civil War
- Published : 2016 (Pen & Sword)
- ISBN : 99781473885172
- SKU : B001558
- PPC : SP950gm
- RRP : £14.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Wow, what a powerful book. WWI historian Richard Van-Emden lets the soldiers who fought on the Somme tell the story in their own words, through letters, diaries, and other documents written by the British (and one German) soldier who fought at the Somme.
Unlike other history books of the battle, this book doesn't just cover the July 1st-onward battle, but covers the period leading up to it. The gathering of men and supplies. The digging of trenches. The plans to make this what was supposed to be a huge victory for the British and French troops.
Along with fascinating first-person accounts, the books is illustrated with photographs taken by the troops (with illegal cameras, no less!) detailing their live-in the trenches. Unlike the official photos usually seen in such books, these are refreshing un-posed, often out-of-focus, but nevertheless interesting glimpses into the horrible trench conditions, the shelled-out villages of the Somme area, and the utter devastation caused by endless bombing and machine gun fire." - Goodreads Review.
Richard van Emden is a British author and television documentary producer who specializes in the First World War.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :