Ronald Hayman - Nietzsche (The Great Philosophers) (New Paperback)
The Great Philosophers Series : No' 5.
A short book combining extracts from the work of one of the world's greatest thinkers combined with commentary from one of Britain's most distinguished writers on philosophy.
'God is dead', announced Nietzsche - before going on to abolish himself.
Envious contemporaries of Nietzsche ridiculed him as a mad man - and yet they came closer than they knew in characterising a philosopher in whose thought ambivalence approximated to disintegration of the self.
While the nineteenth century's coherent, consistent systems of certainty came crashing down ingloriously at the very first touch of the twentieth, Nietzsche's discourses survived. He was more modern, it seemed, than 'the moderns'.
In this stimulating and provocative guide, Hayman reveals how Nietzsche's work is more contemporary and relevant than ever in a new postmodern age.
- Format : Small, Thin New Paperback
- Condition : New
- Category : Non-Fiction - Philosophy, Religion & Spirituality
- Published : 1997 (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)
- ISBN : 9781474616751
- SKU : B002515
- PPC : LL200gm
- RRP : £3.99
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"Great book. It is now one of my favourite books. This book goes into a lot of detail, not only on Nietzsche's life, but on the world around him, specifically his reception among his peers, and where his ideas stand in history.
This book is dense. It is not a breezy read. Have a dictionary at hand. Hayman is a good writer; he can condense complex ideas.
There are also a few funny stories about Nietzsche in the book, like the one about him fighting a tailor over some trousers. There was also some surprising things. For instance, Nietzsche was quite good at riding a horse despite his terrible eyesight. What makes this book invaluable is that you get the sense of how his childhood, his myopia, his headaches, his digestive problems, his loneliness, his travels and the early death of his father, all influenced his writing. Nietzsche's total dedication to pursuing understanding and truth makes the modern "thinkers" look like dilettantes." - Amazon Review.
Higham Ronald Hayman was a British critic, dramatist, and writer who was best known as a biographer.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :