Simon Jenkins - A Short History of England (2nd Hand Hardback)
From the invaders of the dark ages to the aftermath of the coalition, one of Britain's most respected journalists, Simon Jenkins, weaves together a strong narrative with all the most important and interesting dates in a book that characteristically is as stylish as it is authoritative.
A Short History of England sheds light on all the key individuals and events, bringing them together in an enlightening and engaging account of the country's birth, rise to global prominence and then partial eclipse. There have been long synoptic histories of England but until now there has been no standard short work covering all significant events, themes and individuals.
Beautifully illustrated, this magisterial history will be the standard work for years to come.
- Format : Thick, Solid 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Good
- Category : Non-Fiction - Britain
- Published : 2011 (Profile Books - 1st Edition, 1st Printing)
- ISBN : 9781846684616
- SKU : B002355
- PPC : SP1200gm
- RRP : £25 (Unclipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
Full colour & glossy throughout.
Produced in association with The National Trust.
'A characteristically bold, wry, fluent, combative gallop through English history' - Max Hastings.
'A lucid and handsomely illustrated narrative, from the Saxon dawn of England to the Cameron Government' - The Times.
'Full of stand-out facts. Absolutely fascinating, I've learnt an awful lot' - Richard Bacon, BBC Radio 2.
'Let Jenkins sweep you through England's history, painting a vivid picture of this country's green and pleasant land' - City AM.
'Where Jenkins excels is in his very journalistic approach. The historical events are joined up, and work as narrative' - Time Out.
'Immediately accessible' - Prospect.
Sir Simon David Jenkins FSA FRSL is a British author and a newspaper columnist and editor. He was editor of the Evening Standard from 1976 to 1978 and of The Times from 1990 to 1992. Jenkins chaired the National Trust from 2008 to 2014. He currently writes columns for The Guardian.
Featured Author . . . Simon Jenkins
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :