The New Oxford Book of Light Verse (2nd Hand Hardback)
Chosen & Edited by Kingsley Amis.
This delightful anthology celebrates a rich and pleasing - if often underrated - tradition of English writing.
The choice of poems reflects the great variety of light verse as well as the tastes and views of its distinguished editor. The selections range from genial satire to nonsense verse, from epigrams to limericks.
More than 250 poems by some 80 authors provide a witty and consistently entertaining survey of English verse from Rochester and Ben Jonson to Anthony Powell and Philip Larkin.
As Mr. Amis explains in a lively introduction, the principles on which he based this selection differ from those used by W.H. Auden in selecting for The Oxford Book of Light Verse (first published in 1938). Auden's definition of light was closer to popular than humorous. Amis's collection - which includes familiar favourites as well as previously unpublished masterpieces - is lighter in heart, closer to a modern understanding of the meaning of light.
- Format : Slightly Smaller 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Good
- Category : Fiction - Poetry & Plays
- Published : 1978 (This Edition 1979 - Oxford University Press)
- ISBN : 0192118625
- SKU : B002672
- PPC : SP500gm
- RRP : Unknown (Clipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
1979. Reprinted. 347 pages. Pictorial dust jacket over blue cloth.
"A very comprehensive & enjoyable selection" - Gavin Ewart in The Observer.
"It's very good. Full of good stuff. I laughed aloud. Mr. Amis's selection . . . bears the imprint of his personality & taste." - The TES.
"Kingsley Amis's The New Oxford Book of English Light Verse is the best poetry collection of its sort that I know: a judiciously selected harvest of light verse, specifically English in origin, including both old favourites and generally undiscovered gems, with an introduction that is one of the best things written on the genre. I think everyone, including readers for whom poetry is not usually a major interest, would enjoy this book." - Goodreads Review.
Sir Kingsley William Amis CBE was an English novelist, poet, critic and teacher. He wrote more than 20 novels, six volumes of poetry, a memoir, short stories, radio and television scripts, and works of social and literary criticism.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :