Thomas Toughill - The Ripper Code (2nd Hand Hardback)
The Ripper Code is a fascinating combination of literary and conventional detective work, which is as original as it is enthralling. Thomas Toughill applies his detective skills to one of the greatest mysteries, the identity of Jack the Ripper.
Toughill suggests that Jack the Ripper was a former "friend" of Oscar Wilde and that Wilde dropped hints about this in several of his works, most notably The Picture of Dorian Gray, which Wilde wrote in 1889, the year after the Ripper murders took place.
In fascinating detail, the author argues that Wilde's story, that of a privileged man whose life of vice in the East End of London turns him into a murderer, is in fact a coded message about the Ripper's identity.
However, The Ripper Code is not just a fascinating voyage through the writings of Oscar Wilde and others. It is also a striking example of original detective work. Here, as in his previous books, Toughill unveils stunning evidence from a hitherto untapped source and uses it to devastating effect in arguing his case.
The author also claims that Jack the Ripper was placed in an asylum after the last murder in order to keep secret a royal indiscretion, and that Marie Belloc Lowndes based her famous novel The Lodger on what she had learned about the Ripper from her friend Wilde.
- Format : Standard 2nd Hand Hardback with Dust Jacket
- Condition : Very Good (Almost As New)
- Category : Non-Fiction - True Crime
- Published : 2008 (Sutton Publishing/The History Press - 1st Edition, 1st Printing - Note : No quote at top of front cover)
- ISBN : 9780750948753
- SKU : B002376
- PPC : SP600gm
- RRP : £20 (Unclipped)
- Quantity Available : 1 only.
"This book closely analyses the circumstances and characters involved in the killings as well as drawing on previously , to me anyway, unknown connections. I do not know whether his conclusion is correct or not but I found his theories and arguments very plausible." - Amazon Review.
Thomas Toughill is a non-fiction author born in Glasgow, Scotland. His works include Oscar Slater: The Mystery Solved, Oscar Slater: The Immortal Case of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, World To Gain: The Battle For Global Domination And Why America Entered WWII and The Ripper Code.
Guarantee & Refunds
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
All books and other items are covered by our 14 Day (No Questions Asked) Money Back Guarantee - this is comprised of purchase price and postage paid, but will usually not cover the cost of return postage. Books and other items must be returned, in the same condition as sold, to qualify for this refund. Refunds will be processed immeadiately upon return of books or other items.
However . . . number of books returned since the launch of this website in 2018 - None ! Please don't worry about the quality of any book you purchase - it'll be exactly as described in the Details section.
Ordering & Delivery
No minimum order & a simple checkout procedure. Debit & Credit Cards, Paypal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Shop Pay & American Express, etc, all accepted. All books & other items are in stock and ready for immediate dispatch (the same or the next business day).
- Free Local Delivery for large parts of the Glasgow North Area (automatically applied for qualifying postcodes) (1-2 Days).
- Standard UK Postal or Courier Delivery only £1.00 per order on orders under £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- Free UK Postal or Courier Delivery on orders over £10.00 (2-5 Days).
- UK 2 Day+ Preferred Courier delivery option (weight-based) now also available at the checkout stage (2-3 Days).
- International Delivery is available to most larger countries - charges & delivery times detailed here. Important Note : Some European Union & International orders may now be subject to VAT, import duties or taxes. If so, these would have to paid seperately, by the customer, as your order arrives in your country.
Delivery choices & costs can be calculated and checked on the Cart Page before advancing to the Checkout Page.
UK Delivery (Local, Post or Courier) :